Wednesday, September 22, 2021

The Rockies Diary, Week 14: Solo Road Trip to Yoho and Jasper National Parks

 July 26, 2021 - August 1, 2021

I can count on one hand the number of times I have driven a car my only myself in it.  Yet, I somehow spontaneously found the courage to rent a car and go on my first solo road trip.  In total, I clocked 800 kms and definitely overplayed my playlist to the point where I always think about the long drives I did on this trip, whenever I play it.

Solo travelling was really freeing.  I set my own schedule and chose where I wanted to go.  My only regret was not being able to do it for more than two days.  There will always be more hikes to do.

To preface, I took my trip during a month when the forest fires were quit terrible, so my pictures don't always have the clearest view of the mountains.  Regardless, I managed to see some amazing views and landmarks.

On July 26, I began my journey from Banff to Golden, BC where the Skybridge is located.  I didn't realize how nonchalant it was to cross a provincial border.  In fact, I nearly missed the sign that welcomed me in to British Colombia.  

After two rounds of the Skybridge, I headed into Yoho National Park, my first stop being at Mount Paget.  Once I reached the lookout - with the mini hut - I cracked open a can of beans and ate them out of the can.  It's one of those camping rituals that I'd never done before, but seemed like something you have to do at least once in your life time.

Next, I drove up to Emerald lake (including a mini hike to Hamilton Falls).  Emerald lake is so gorgeous and I with I had the whole day to spend there.  Unfortunately the sun was already starting to set and I wanted to head back to my fancy campground.  However, I did manage to dip my toes in the lake, which was freezing cold should you ask.

In terms of sleeping arrangements, I booked a slot at the Kicking Horse campground.  I wasn't sure where I could park and sleep in my car overnight for free, so I splurged on a nice slot and had the luxury of taking a hot shower.

On July 27, I started my day early and headed to Takakkaw Falls.  Again, I wish I could have spent longer there because there was a hike I wanted to do.  But the waterfall itself was worth it and I was the only one there because I came early.

And now we began our journey to Jasper through the Icefield Parkway!  With only a map of all the along the way, and not much of a plan in mind, I began my drive to Jasper, the first stop being to Herbert Lake.  It was a gorgeous area and I thought perhaps I could get an early morning swim in.  But a few seconds after wadding into the freezing cold water I new I wasn't going to last much longer.

A common theme for this day was visiting a lot of canyons and waterfalls.  You could easily spend hours just sitting by them and being mesmerized by their roaring sounds and force as they make their way down.  Some notable ones that I saw were: Mistaya Canoyon, Tangle Falls, and Athabasca Falls.

By the time I got to Mount Edith Cavell, it was close to sunset and I only managed to hike the very first bit of the trail.  However, more notably, that's were I witnessed my first avalanche!

But by far, my favourite stop was Bow Lake.  I loved it so much when I first visited it in the morning, that I drove all the way back down to specifically sleep in my car there and wake to the gorgeous view and colony of birds that live there.

I had so much fun on my solo trip and it really gave me the confidence to do more solo exploring.  My move to Canmore also showed me that I can just pick up my life and start somewhere else if I really want to.

Golden Skybridge
Mount Paget Lookout
Spruce Grouse
Emerald Lake
Takakkaw Falls
Herbert Lake
Mistaya Canyon
Bow Lake
Tangle Falls
Icefield Glaciers
Mount Edith Cavell
Athabasca Falls

No comments:

Post a Comment