Sunday, September 19, 2021

The Rockies Diary, Week 12 + 13: Calgary Stampede and More Hiking

July 12, 2021 - July 18, 2021

On July 13, the three of us rented a car and drove into Calgary to attend the Stampede.  The Stampede is pretty much the cowboy equivalent to the CNE back in Toronto.  The day was insanely hot, but we managed to eat some good food and see some fun shows.

July 19, 2021 - July 25, 2021

On July 20, I decided to bike over to the Cougar Creek area in Canmore and find a trail to hike.  I'm not sure what the name of the mountain or the trail is that I hiked, but it was pretty pleasant.  And I don't know about other hikers, but when I hike alone I love singing aloud and currently I have been obsessed with the French singer Eddy de Pretto.

One thing that I hadn't even thought about when coming out here was the possibility of forest fires.  But they are very much prevalent and happen yearly.  This year in particular happened to be one of the worst.  For about a month straight, there was so much smoke in the air that you could barely make out the outlines of the mountains.  That also meant that I didn't get much hiking done for about a month.  You can even see in the picture below how red the moon looked at night because of all the smoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment