Friday, April 24, 2020

I haven't looked back

April 24, 2020 | Toronto

JP6: What will you be proud of?

For me, one of the scariest things in life is to be financially dependent.  I never want to be stuck in a situation where I want to leave someone, but can't because I don't think I could afford to.  I've seen it first hand.

It's going on two years since I really started to take my personal finances seriously.  I began by tracking my expenses and budgeting.  Then, just last year, I opened up my first investment account and haven't looked back.  Writing this, I already feel a sense of pride because not many people my age can say they are as well educated when it comes to their finances.

A couple weeks ago, I sat down a filed four years worth of taxes with the help of my mom.  Today, I guided my friend on how to file hers.  And it felt great being able to pass on the knowledge.  Understanding how to grow your networth is so empowering.  Being aware enough to only spend money on things that bring you joy and fulfilment is freeing.  Even though other things in life don't seem as certain or straight forward, this is one area of my life that reassures me - I'm doing something right.

I will be so proud of myself the day I become financially independent and generating enough passive income to essentially 'retire' early.

Song of the Day: Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams
Canon M50

No comments:

Post a Comment