Monday, June 6, 2022

The Rockies Diary, Week 17 - 19: Aylmer Lookout and the End of a Chapter

*After nearly a year later, I'm writing the last post in The Rockies Diary series. I remember wanting to finish the write up in October, 2021. But, a lot has happened in my life since then and my blog took a backseat, unfortunately. I came back to this post in December, 2021 thinking that I would finally be able to finish it before the year ends, but once again my mind was elsewhere and I just couldn't find the right words to say. There's so much to update you on and yet so much of what I want to write about is too personal (somethings are better left off the Internet). Perhaps as I get into writing more posts (hopefully) I'll figure out what I'm comfortable with sharing. Until then, enjoy the long overdue post!

A look back...

Several instances throughout the summer I took a step back from being in the moment to realize that I really did just move across Canada to live in the mountains. It was easy to get absorbed in the everyday details because my roommates and I spent five out of the seven days working full-time at the ice cream shop. I have to remind myself of how big a leap of faith it was and how grateful I am that things worked themselves out in the end.

Writing this wrap-up post, nearly 4 months (oops more like 10 months!) since being in Canmore, I still talk fondly about my time spent there. I learned and grew so much over the summer just by doing things I've never done before, pushing myself out of my comfort zone, and being open to meeting new people. 

I have always prided myself on being independent. And yet, it was only this summer that I felt comfortable dinning at a restaurant by myself. I finally understood what it was like to be completely happy  being in my own company and to not feel undeserving for treating myself.

One of my proudest moments was renting a car for two days and driving over 800km around the Yoho and Jasper national parks.  I proved to myself that solo traveling can be fun and fulfilling and not as impossible as it seems.  It's almost surreal now because I'm back in school (update: I've graduated) and just focused on doing well in my classes - the same as before I left for my trip.

"I think we're at that weird age where life can change a lot from small decisions." - Sally Rooney's Normal People

I am so thankful for pushing myself into unknown territory and for the people I've met along the way.  That summer could have gone in so many directions.  I might have even stayed in Peterborough and never got to experience the beauty that Canada has to offer.  I never would have met Kate and Nicole...

In these last three weeks, my emotions were running high from the overwhelming thoughts of this chapter ending, and yet at times I felt numb to the idea that I would be leaving. Did the last four months even happen? It felt so fast. Especially since I was the last one to move back to Ontario. One goodbye after another, the apartment started to feel desolate, almost too big for just one person. It felt hollow. And going to work began to feel like a solemn chore. Yet, I still managed to find new adventures and meet more people.

My most notable adventure was when I did a 22km hike to the Aylmer Lookout. I had made a Facebook post in some hiking groups hoping to get one final hike in before my plane ride. To my delight, I managed to put together a solid group of people and I am so glad for the beautiful hike we completed together.

I'm glad to have finally closed this chapter. It was like a small knot in my back these last 10 months. Anytime I start a series on my blog, part of me feels like I can't truly move on until I finally wrap it up. I have a lot of updating to do, and I felt like I couldn't do so until I closed this chapter. 

Thank you for reading,
Sophia

August 16, 2021 - August 22, 2021

August 23, 2021 - August 29, 2021

August 30, 2021 - September 5, 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment